FULL-TIME – DESIGN – USA ONLY
Hi, we’re CompanyCam. We create simple-to-use, visual-first communication and accountability tools for contractors. Imagine a B2B SaaS app that doesn’t look like garbage, built by a team of capable, laid-back people. But don’t let the chill throw you off; we’re a fast-growing, product-led startup with big plans for the future.
We’re looking for sharp, self-motivated, kind, problem-solving Product Designers to join our team. You’ll use your experience and expertise in shipping well-designed and successful SaaS apps (not websites) to help CompanyCam succeed.
We’re not looking for one-trick ponies either. We need holistic Product Designers: you’ll do user research, UX design, UI design, Interaction design, microcopy, and some HTML+CSS writing while keeping both user and business goals in mind. Don’t worry if you’re not an expert in all those things (we like T-shaped designers); we know it’s a big, broad role.
Did you wake up this morning with a burning desire to create apps for roofers, remodelers, or plumbers? No? I didn’t think so. I admit, it’s not something one thinks about without some prompting. But bear with me for a moment…
Contractors are everywhere. They build our homes, they literally put roofs over our heads, they wire up our electricity, give us access to the internet, fix our plumbing and AC, paint our homes, the list goes on.
At CompanyCam, you’ll work with intelligent, kind people to make contractors’ work easier and create time for them, so they can get shit done and spend more time with their families or on other things they care about. Sound corny? You’ll find that mid-westerner ethos permeate our culture (we’re based in Lincoln, NE), so if you can’t hang with that, no hard feelings, but this probably isn’t the role for you.
What it’s like to work at CompanyCam?
Our Product and Engineering departments do things a little differently. We use Basecamp’s Shape Up method (fused with empowered product teams a la Marty Cagan’s Inspired) to organize and execute our work. You’ll spend a good chunk of your time with Product Managers “shaping” work to be done, while also spending time actually delivering your designs. No sprinting, no scrumming, no death by 1,000 meetings. We protect our engineers’ and designers’ time, treat them like adults, and trust them to get their work done. We’re also big on not overworking people. Put in your eight hours and TURN. SLACK. OFF. No nights and weekends required.
Our larger company culture is also refreshingly chill. We have fun, learn from each other, and don’t take ourselves too seriously. Read more about what it’s like here.
We cover the important stuff too. We pay well, offer unlimited vacation, meaningful equity, health insurance, and other benefits. If you’re local or down to move, we’re custom remodeling a new office space in the Lincoln Haymarket area that you’ll love. If you’re remote (about a third of the overall product+engineering group is), we’re well set up with great conference room video equipment so you feel like you’re there with us, and we’ll fly you in a few times a year to hang out (you CAN NOT miss Lake Day!).
Now, on to the requirements:
- Show up every day, taking the courage to do the difficult but necessary stuff.
- Grow up constantly: you’re OK working in an environment full of change. You take responsibility, love ownership, learn continuously, and have a growth mindset.
- Do good by treating your co-workers and customers the way you would like to be treated.
- Have experience and expertise in user research, UX/UI Design, Visual Design, Interaction Design, microcopy, front-end development with a strong portfolio of real, shipped apps to prove it. (We need more than hypothetical projects to judge your ability).
- Code. Currently, our designers write all our CSS/Sass, while working directly in a React.js or React Native environment. This goes beyond “working knowledge” – you need to be advanced especially in your CSS knowledge.
- Be a great communicator – you can solicit, manage, and appropriately respond to feedback from stakeholders, users, and fellow designers.
- Reside permanently and currently somewhere in the continental USA. Sorry, we’re not hiring outside the US at this time even if you’re willing to work during US timezones.
It’d be NICE if you…
- Live in Lincoln, NE or are interested in relocating (we’d provide assistance).
- Have experience working in a Product-led Growth environment (or B2C environment) and can leverage that experience here.