More than 3 decades after the discovery of the HIV virus. Many people are still found in the dark about the realities of living with the disease.
In a 2014 poll, the charity found that only around 1 in 8 people realize you can have a normal lifespan with HIV with treatment.
Here are 9 Misconceptions about HIV/AIDS
9. I can get HIV by being around people who are HIV positive.
Evidence shows that HIV is not spread through touch, tears, sweat, or saliva. You cannot catch HIV by:
- Breathing the same air as someone who is HIV positive.
- Touching a toilet seat or doorknob handle after an HIV-positive person.
- Drinking from a water fountain.
- Hugging, kissing, or shaking hands with someone who is HIV positive.
- Sharing eating utensils with an HIV-positive person.
- Using exercise equipment at a gym.
You can get HIV from infected blood, semen, vaginal fluid, or mother’s milk.